Codes of Good Practice: Procedures for Progressive Reduction of Maximum Working Hours
Section 9(3) Basic Conditions of Employment Act 75 of 1997
1. This Schedule records the procedures to be adopted to reduce the working hours of employees to the goal of a 40 hour working week and an eight hour working day-
(a) through collective bargaining and the publication of sectoral detern-iinations;
(b) having due regard to the impact of a reduction of working hours on existing
employment and opportunities for employment creation, economic efficiency and the health, safety and welfare of employees.
2. When during negotiations on terms and conditions of employment, a party to the negotiations introduces the reduction of maximum working hours as a subject for negotiation, the parties must negotiate on that issue.
Role of Employment Conditions Commission
3. The Commission may investigate the possibility of reducing working hours in a particular sector and area and make recommendations to the Minister thereon.
Investigation by Department of Labour
4. (1) The Department of Labour must, after consultation with the Commission, conduct an investigation as to how the reduction of weekly working hours to a level of 40 hours per week may be achieved.
(2) The investigation must be completed and the report submitted to the Minister not later than 18 months after the Act has come into operation.
5. (1) The Department of Labour must, after consultation with the Commission-
(a) monitor and review progress made in reducing working hours;
(b) prepare and publish a report for the Minister on the progress made in the reduction of working hours.
(2) The Department must publish reports every two years.
(3) The reports must be tabled at Nedlac and in Parliament by the Minister.
(4) The Minister may prescribe the returns to be submitted by employers, trade unions and councils on any matter concerning this Schedule.
- Code of Good Practice on the Preparation, Implementation and Monitoring of the Employment Equity Plan
- Agreement on the introduction of a national minimum wage
- Draft Code of Good Practice: Collective Bargaining, Industrial Action and Picketing
- Labour Laws Draft Amendment Bill - parental, adoption and commissioning parental leave and related benefits
- Regulations - Basic Conditions of Employment Act
Latest from Gary Watkins
- Opening remarks by the Minister of Labour, Mildred Oliphant, on the occasion of the Jobs Summit held on 4-5 October 2018 in Johanesburg, Gauteng
- “No employment equity compliance, no business” with the State and its entities – Department of Labour
- Employment Equity Amendment Bill, 2018
- Theory U - Learning from the future as it emerges | Otto Scharmer | TEDxTUHH
- Joseph Jaworski: Part 1 - The Heart of Synchronicity