The shift from traditional personnel management to human resource management has mirrored a growing realization by organizations of the important contribution that employees make within the organization and that by consolidating this contribution the organization can maximize strategic objectives.
This Introduction to Human Resource Management Workshop emphasizes the strategic role that human resource management plays within the modern day organization. In addition it outlines key functional human resources areas that can be introduced in any organization.
Introduction and Basic HR-
- Structures and purpose
- Responsibilities and line management.
- Why we need the EE act.
- EE Committees and responsibilities
- Amendment to Employment Equity Regulations Dec 2008
- Next generation of EE plans (moving beyond numerical targets to concrete actions)
- Linkages between EE, Workforce Planning and Skills Development
Recruitment and Selection
- Interview techniques (practical application)
- Types of questions
- Other selection tools
- Measurement of success
Induction and Orientation
- Why do we need it?
- How do we know if it is effective
- Ways to effectively communicate
- Examples and tools
Learning and Development
- Needs analysis
- In house vs External suppliers
- Skills Act
- Mentoring and coaching
- Adult learning
- What is performance management?
- What is a balance scorecard?
- How to have difficult conversations
- Effective performance management techniques
Labour Issues i.e. Disciplinary Actions and Grievance procedures
- Using the law as your guide
- Step by step guide to holding a disciplinary hearing
- Practical application
- What is a grievance and when are they effective?
- Discussion on case studies
- Overview of requirements for misconduct, performance, incapacity and grievances
- Recent Labour Court judgments (intoxication, medical certificates, Sidumo vs Rustenburg Platinum etc)
- Probationary evaluations
Workforce and Succession Planning – Taking HR into the future!
- Principles of workforce planning
- Workforce planning model
- DPSA requirements in re Workforce / Human Resource Planning
- Statistical data
Latest from Gary Watkins
- National and Regional Economically Active Population - QLFS Q4 2018
- A Green Workplace: How HR Must Lead the "Go Green" Initiative
- Sustainable development and the workplace
- Code of Good Practice: Collective Bargaining, Industrial Action and Picketing
- Regulations issued in terms of section 208 of the Labour Relations Act 66 of 1995 - Picketing Regulations