Diversity Training enables trainers to enhance communication, understanding, and to educate employees and supervisors to support the wealth of talent, ideas, and skill within our workplaces. In this highly detailed training course trainers can help the various needs, backgrounds, and strengths to come together in a respectful way.
Participants will learn:
• What diversity and its related terms mean
• To be aware of their own behaviours and how they can improve
• To identify their stereotypes
• The Four Cornerstones of Diversity
• The STOP technique
• How to take action is discrimination takes place
More than ever, a workplace is a diverse collection of individuals proud of who they are: their gender, their sexual orientation, their religion, their ethnic background, and all the other components that make an individual unique. One of the challenges for workplace leaders is how to help these diverse individuals work as a team.
We all know what happens to organizations that don’t have effective teamwork: they fail. And, failing to embrace diversity can also have serious legal costs for corporations. This one-day workshop will give you ways to celebrate diversity in the workplace while bringing individuals together.
This one-day course will help you teach participants how to:
o Describe what diversity and its related terms mean
o Explain how changes in the world have affected you and your view
o Identify your stereotypes
o Use terms that are politically correct and avoid those which are not
o Apply the four cornerstones of diversity
o Avoid the pitfalls related to diversity
o Use a technique for dealing with inappropriate behavior
o Develop a management style to encourage diversity
o Take action if you or one of your employees feels discriminated against
Participants will begin by defining diversity and related terms, including affirmative action, bias, stereotype, and Equal Employment Opportunity.
How Does Diversity Affect Me?
This session will help participants identify how a changing world has affected them. Participants will also score their pre-assignment (a self-awareness inventory) to identify possible areas for improvement.
During this session, participants will explore stereotypes from different angles through a lecture and two group exercises.
In this era of political correctness, it’s sometimes hard to keep up with words that have become inappropriate. We will take a look at some phrases that are considered universally incorrect and some basic guidelines. We’ll also take a humorous look at some phrases that have gone too far.
The Cornerstones of Diversity
Diversity experts Armida Russell, Amy Tolbert, and Frank Wilderman have identified four cornerstones of diversity development: knowledge, acceptance, understanding, and behavior. We will examine each cornerstone in detail during this session.
How to Discourage Diversity
There are some practices that discourage diversity more than they encourage it. We will look at four common mistakes and how to avoid them.
The STOP Technique
Diversity expert Lenora Billings-Harris has developed a four-step technique that you can use when someone is behaving in an inappropriate manner. It’s called STOP. Participants will learn about the technique through a lecture and will then practice it in a role play.
Managing for Diversity
During this brief lecture, we will look at some simple things managers and employees can do to encourage diversity in their workplace.
Dealing with Discrimination
To wrap up the day, we will discuss how to deal with discrimination as a manager and an employee.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/gwdhmoih/public_html/templates/gk_news2/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 176
- Diversity fatigue: why business still struggles to close the gender gapDiversity fatigue: why business still struggles to close the gender gap
- Diversity in the Workplace - Diversity Training for Team - The Cracked Pot
- Jedidah Isler: The untapped genius that could change science for the better
- Diversity Management
- Employment Equity Regulations, 2014
Latest from Gary Watkins
- Opening remarks by the Minister of Labour, Mildred Oliphant, on the occasion of the Jobs Summit held on 4-5 October 2018 in Johanesburg, Gauteng
- “No employment equity compliance, no business” with the State and its entities – Department of Labour
- Employment Equity Amendment Bill, 2018
- Theory U - Learning from the future as it emerges | Otto Scharmer | TEDxTUHH
- Joseph Jaworski: Part 1 - The Heart of Synchronicity